Toes in the water, ass in the sand


One thing we love about Belize is that we can be sitting at our home up in the jungle and 3 1/2 hours later be sitting on an island in the Caribbean, and that’s even with a 15 minute plane ride. We have made this trip out to Ambergris many times before with friends, but this time it was just us for five days of music. It’s actually a two week event called Camp Belize put on by Jerry Jeff Walker for the past 20 years or so. It’s an open-mike venue hosting musicians from all over, some who have been coming from day one and others who were first timers. Every day a different bar would host the music, which meant a lot of bar hopping and day drinking. That’s ok though, because this was a little vacation for us.


A lot of the places they played were out on dock bars such as The Palapa Bar which makes for a great venue. Sitting out above the Caribbean, watching the boats, listening to great music and enjoying a cold beer. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon.


The highlight for us was getting to see Jerry Jeff Walker. Last year he did not make the show because of some throat cancer issues, but he made it this year. His voice was a little raspy, but he still put on a great show with his songs and story telling. He was joined on stage by his son Django Walker who is also a great musician and song writer.


After the show Jerry Jeff was even kind enough to stop for a quick picture with Kelley.


In San Pedro on Ambergris, the main mode of transportation is golf carts. Everybody rents them and it is a great way to explore the island and get around. Since the music didn’t start until the afternoon we decided to take a couple mornings and head as far south as we could and then as far north as we could. We went at least six miles south of town and were amazed at all the construction of new homes and big resorts we saw. In one of the lagoons there were a bunch of birds feeding and one was a Roseate Spoonbill. Its a beautiful big bird with a pink body white neck and a red stripe. We have only seen a couple of these in the wild and this time we actually got a decent picture of one.


Another day we decided to head north. We must have gone 10 miles or so seeing new homes and more big resorts. It wasn’t too many years ago that there wasn’t even a road up there. The road finally started getting a little bad so we decided we had gone far enough and should head back. Ironically we turned around right in front of this totem pole that was full of old flip flops with a sign that read “Lost Soles”. We figured we’d gone far enough and this must be a sign for us to head back.


We did stop in to talk to our realtor on the way back and he told us that there are some good deals on beach front lots 20 plus miles up the coast. There are no roads or utilities there yet, but as fast as the island is growing who knows how long before they will be there.

After we got back up to the jungle it was time to wander around the yard and garden to see how everything was doing. There was a big bunch of bananas that we needed to harvest before the animals started to get to them. They were pretty high up on the plant so I had to get a ladder and a machete ( I know that sounds real safe) to cut them down while Kelley was holding the bottom of the stalk to catch them. We have learned that you have to wear old clothes when you cut or trim banana plants because of the liquid that comes out of them. If it gets on your clothes it will stain and NOTHING will take it out.

banana pick1

This stalk weighed about 35 lbs. and contained 86 bananas, so that means it’s time to dehydrate some, make everything banana and eat 2 or 3 a day for awhile. The bunch is green when we cut them, but it only takes a few days before they will all start turning yellow and be ready to go. And like I’ve said before, if you have never had a fresh banana you don’t what you’re missing. In the few days we were gone another banana plant got it’s blossom, so we have more bananas on the way.

bananas pick

Our coffee plants have been in a little over a year now and a few have been producing a little here and there. We finally had enough to roast and brew some coffee. This is our first time growing and roasting coffee so we are only going by what we have read on how to do it (because we know everything you read on the inner-web is true).

coffee roast

The roasting went okay as far as we know. If and when we start getting a good amount of coffee we will take it somewhere and have it roasted by someone who actually knows what they are doing. In the meantime I’m sitting here eating bananas with a cup of decent coffee that all came from our garden, not a bad breakfast. Kelley absolutely hates coffee even the smell, but I did get her to try a sip and she didn’t gag on it. Although I did see her in the bathroom washing her mouth out with soap. That just leaves more coffee for me.


We’ve got a friend staying here this week, but no one else is scheduled until June. So If you are considering a visit down here, the casita is waiting for you. Hope to see you soon.

8 thoughts on “Toes in the water, ass in the sand”

  1. I guess Jerry Jeff Walker announce that this was his last concert. We are not sure it was his very last or just his last time playing in Belize. Either way we were so glad that we got to see him one last time.

Comments are closed.